My 2nd tutorial! This method takes significantly longer than 10-min curl tutorial, but you achieve a mane-full of voluminous waves. It takes me about 20-30 minutes, depending on how much hair you have.
The main difference in this method is that instead of curling from the ends up to the roots, you curl starting at the roots down to the ends. This gives you more volume at the roots, and thus BIGGER HAIR. And BIGGER HAIR = GOOD.
I have to credit my friend Ann, who always has perfectly-styled hair, for showing me the technique.
- Start with dry hair (see my previous tutorial on tips on how to dry your bangs).
- Clip up 2/3 of your hair. I usually make my first layer at where my eyes are.
- Take a 1-inch section and lightly hairspray.
- Start at the ROOT about an inch from you scalp with the clamp facing forward and the iron standing vertically.
- Curl it towards the back of your head and hold for 5-10 seconds.
- Slide the iron down a couple inches (yes, this is damaging to your hair; it will make a scary scraping sound).
- Curl it towards the back of your head, all the way to the scalp and hold for another 5-10 seconds.
- Repeat this process all the way down to the ends of your hair.
- The result should be a long ringlet thing.
When you get to the ends of your hair, you can either leave the last couple centimeters straight, or curl all the way to the end. I usually curl the entire thing.
- After doing half of your head, repeat on the other side, again with the clamp facing forward and the iron standing vertically.
- Except now, curl it the opposite direction towards the back.
- Repeat until you curl all the way down to the ends.
- First layer finished!
Remeber you're supposed to be hairspraying each section before you curl. I sometimes forget. Oh well.
- Clip the finished first layer.
- Get your 2nd layer ready.
- Repeat the curling w/ the 2nd layer.
- 2 layers down, 1 to go!
- I curl my bangs doing the same technique since my bangs are pretty long. If yours are shorter, you can curl your bangs the regular way (see my previous tutorial for tips).
- Right side (contemplate cutting your hair short).
- Left side (decide that this is a terrible idea).
- Yay finished....?...
When you do the top layer, concentrate on getting as much volume roots as possible. This means getting as close to the scalp as you can, and holding the iron there for longer.
- Before the hairspray sets, rake your fingers through your hair up and towards the back.
- Coax the curls into big waves.
- Finish with another blast (again with the face).
- NOW you are finished!