Zuppa Toscana



Ok this is from the Olive Garden. I LIKE Olive Garden, ok? I'm not ashamed! Sometimes you're just in the mood for
"Italian" Food [with quotations].

I guess it's like how Taco Bell is not really Mexican food, but is still good ... to some people. Not me, though. Taco Bells is barf and I haven't eaten there since 6th grade.

In college, I probably ate at Olive Garden at least 2x a month. I would eat 2 bowls of this soup, salad, breadsticks, followed by my entree (mmm TOUR OF ITALY, remember that?). And then maybe dessert. And man, when "Never-Ending Pasta Bowl" time came around - watch out. I would eat 2 and bring 1 home.

This is also probably why I was 10 lbs heavier in college than I am now.

The
Zuppa Toscana was one of my favorites. I looked around online and found a "copycat" recipe. Tried it last night and it came out surprisingly well! I changed the recipe a bit and used chunks of portabello mushroom instead of potatoes to make it more carb-friendly. Delish!



Ingredients
  • 1 lb. Italian Sausage
  • 1½ tsp crushed red peppers (or more, according to taste)
  • 2 large Russet Baking Potatoes sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 large Onion, chopped
  • 4 Tbsp bacon pieces
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups Kale or Swiss Chard, chopped
  • 2 cans Chicken Broth
  • 1 qt. Water
  • 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream

Directions
  1. Crumble and sautee sausage in a pan with the red pepper flakes. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
  2. Sautee potatoes, onions, bacon, and garlic in a pot until onions are almost clear.
  3. Pour in chicken broth, water, and heavy cream. Simmer until potatoes are cooked and the soup thickens.
  4. Add the sausage and kale. Salt and pepper to taste.


Yummy! You can also make this w/ spicy sausage for that extra kick. Put in a tablespoon or so of cornstarch if you like a thicker soup, though the real soup is pretty watery. Remember to mix the cornstarch w/ some broth before pouring it in. If you just put it directly in the pot, you might end up with a special surprise dumpling in your soup. The bf ate the dumpling.



0 comments :: Zuppa Toscana

Post a Comment