mmm poundcake. i admit, the only poundcake i've ever had was store-bought Sara Lee. *ashamed* this will be my first attempt at home-made poundcake.
i actually love eating it cold and with a glass of milk. i like dipping it in the milk until it's soggy and then smushing it in my mouth.
another delicious way to eat it is to toast it in the oven for a couple minutes until the outside is slightly and crispy. serve it with a scoop of vanilla icecream and some fresh berries. yum!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 12 Tbs. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract (optional)
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- Preheat an oven to 325°F. Lightly grease an 8 1⁄2-by-4 1⁄2-inch loaf pan, preferably glass, and dust with flour.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt until blended.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extract on medium to medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until just blended.
- Sprinkle half of the flour mixture over the egg mixture and stir until both are just incorporated.
- Stir in the sour cream, then sprinkle with the remaining flour mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and tap gently on the counter to even out and settle the ingredients. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 70 minutes, or longer if using a metal pan. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around the inside of the pan, invert the cake onto the rack and lift off the pan. Let cool.
Other delicious variations to try!
- Omit the almond extract and stirring in 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest, 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice and 1 Tbs. poppy seeds
- If you like almonds, add the optional almond extract and sprinkle sliced almonds on top before baking.
- Top the slices with fresh fruit